22 Jan MLK Jr. Day of Action a Huge Success
January 19 was MLK Day, the day our country comes together to honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 9to5 members carry on his struggle for racial and economic justice by fighting to guarantee wages and workplace conditions that provide dignity and security to all workers.
– In Georgia, 9to5’s Ban the Box campaign marched to call for an end to employment discrimination against the formerly incarcerated.
– 9to5 Wisconsin joined the MLK Day Justice Program and March to collect petition signatures in support of WI paid family and medical leave, as well as lead a Know-Your-Rights training at a women’s transitional home.
– 9to5 members in three cities in California attended marches and gatherings on MLK Day to raise awareness about local wage theft ordinances.
– 9to5 Colorado joined the Denver MLK Marade (March + Parade) to support racial justice efforts in the city.
– Across the country, 9to5 Action Network members used the MLK Day of Action toolkit to build support for raising the minimum wage at rallies and church services, by writing to their legislators, and by submitting letters to the editors of their local newspapers.
“This is no time for apathy or complacency. This is a time for vigorous and positive action.”
–Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 1967
Dr. King’s words still ring true as we begin 2015. Join us as we honor his legacy and fight for economic and racial justice.