Overview: 9to5 seeks an experienced full-time Communications professional who will be responsible for the integrated communication and digital organizing of 9to5 in Colorado. Reporting to the CO State Director, they will be responsible for creating and implementing a communications strategy for 9to5 in Colorado, advising the communication strategy of policy campaigns, and producing high-quality communication tools that amplify members’ voices. We are seeking someone who is a big picture thinker and has a background in social justice grassroots campaigns, policy advocacy, and/or community organizing work. The position will be based in our Denver, Colorado office, but there are remote possibilities if located outside of the Denver metro area.
About 9to5: Founded in 1973, we fight for economic justice through the lens of gender, race and class. We achieve our mission through grassroots organizing, leadership development, policy advocacy at a state and national level, and civic engagement. Current campaigns focus on paid family and medical leave ballot implementation, anti-discrimination, initiatives toward housing justice including statewide rent control, worker’s rights, and federal and state climate justice work centering on Green New Deal and THRIVE act initiatives.
We have members throughout the country, currently we have about 30 staff members, 11 in CO, and physical offices in Atlanta, Georgia; Denver, Colorado; and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 9to5 is a highly collaborative work environment of mostly women who are deeply committed to the cause. For more information, see our website at www.9to5.org.
Specific Communications Responsibilities Include:
Supervision, Coaching, and Leadership
- Supervise Communications Coordinator III role
- Liaison to communications and public relations contractors on various projects
- Help lead the creation of fundraising and marketing material, including drafting, editing, graphic design, and vendor management
- Participate and potentially chair or co-chair communications subcommittees for campaigns related to 9to5’s core issue areas
- Train members and staff in media interviewing skills and essential communication practices; provide coaching in advance of public speaking opportunities
- Train staff in advanced comms practices as needed
- Contribute to organizational strategic planning by uplifting the communications goals, needs and strategy
- Update 9to5 Communications manual and support onboarding of additional communications staff
- Work with key staff to implement anti-oppression, race and gender justice lens (centering those values in strategy, professional relationships, and within content production)
Policy Campaigns and Organizing
- Translate research, policy, and public opinion documents into accessible campaign materials for members, media, and the public (i.e. press materials, social media kits, fact sheets, flyers, etc.)
- Develop strategy related to campaigns within 9to5 core issue areas and create event & campaign-specific materials, including videos, and printed materials
- Correspond with earned media contacts
- Produce reports and updates detailing earned media activities
- Manage digital components of event logistics using Hustle and Action Network
Organizational and Campaign Communication Strategy
- Develop & refine messaging and talking points including on 9to5’s mission, theory of change, programs, campaigns and issues
- Grow org visibility and ensure consistency in messaging/branding
- Develop and update comms vision that will support the de-siloing of campaigns and create cohesion across the organization
- Collaborate with Communications Coordinator II to oversee 9to5’s social media channels: manage content development as well as engaging target audiences, evaluating impact and help guide the overall chapter-level strategy
- Oversee editorial calendar and implementation
- Lead communication strategy to amplify legal efforts in collaboration with our attorney and leadership team
- A minimum of 3-5 years of communications experience at the intersections of digital organizing, public policy, public relations / media relations, and grassroots campaign communication work
- Preferred knowledge of state level political and legislative processes, especially in Colorado;
- Preferred experience working in legislative advocacy and electoral organizing
- Background in social justice and grassroots digital organizing;
- Preferred Bilingual English-Spanish;
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or other related field;
- Demonstrated creativity in the design of public relations, public education communication materials;
- Knowledge of WordPress, Sprout Social, Action Network, or other related digital advocacy software;
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-oppression, ability to work with diverse populations, and build power among systematically-disenfranchised communities;
- Must be able to flex work hours as needed for special events;
- Must have ability to travel to Denver Metro area 1-2 times a month for special events and strategic planning
Details: The position will be filled as soon as practicable and when we find the right candidate, with a target goal of November 1st, 2022.
This is a full-time position (40 hours/week), offering a salary package of $61,798 with generous health and paid time off benefits. The salary for this position will increase to $65,505.88 on October 1st, 2023 in accordance with our collective bargaining unit contract. If the position is filled by someone who is fluent in English and Spanish, a 4% of salary increase would be given. 9to5 is an affirmative action employer. Women of color, lesbian, queer and transgender women, women living with disabilities and older women are encouraged to apply. This position is a bargaining unit position in the 9to5 staff union.
To apply: Send letter of interest, resume, a writing sample, a marketing / design sample and reference list to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Colorado Full-time Communications Strategist IV” in the subject line. No calls please.