27 May Job Opening: Short Term Canvasser Opportunity
Short Term Canvasser Description: 9to5 Wisconsin is currently hiring part-time field canvassers for the Fox Valley region. These will be temporary positions through September 30th, 2014. 9to5 has expanded significantly over the past year, and now we are strengthening our relationships with existing contacts in the Fox Valley region, while engaging the community on issues that 9to5 has been working on, to organize community members in target low income neighborhoods and disenfranchised communities.
Responsibilities: Our field canvassers will be focusing on civic engagement and community outreach around FMLI (Family Medical Leave Insurance).
- Voter education
- Educating community members on the need to establish paid leave, identifying individual stories, continued petition collection
- Host community strategy session
- Door to door canvassing and phone banking
- Work in partnership with local organizations
- High school diploma
- Prior experience with grass-roots outreach
- Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required
- Natural interest in social economic issues
- Ability to stand/sit for extended periods of time
- Some background in community/campus/labor organizing. Ideal candidate would be a self-starter, and able to work with minimal supervision.
Minimum of 15-25 hours/week, for a period of 3-4 months beginning in June and ending September 30th, 2014 (exact start date flexible). Women of color, lesbian and bisexual women, women with disabilities and older women are encouraged to apply. Position is remotely based in Appleton, Neenah, and Menasha, WI and supervised by 9to5 staff located at 207 E. Buffalo St. Suite 211, Milwaukee WI 53204.
Please send a copy of your resume to