Overview: 9to5 seeks an experienced full-time Senior Policy & Campaign Strategist V who will be responsible for leading our Worker Justice organizing and policy efforts. Reporting to the CO State Director, they will be responsible for developing and implementing campaign strategies for 9to5 core issue areas in Colorado. The position will be based in our Denver, Colorado office.
About 9to5: Founded in 1973, we fight for economic justice through the lens of gender, race and class. We achieve our mission through grassroots organizing, leadership development, policy advocacy at a state and national level, and civic engagement. Current campaigns focus on paid family and medical leave ballot implementation, anti-discrimination, initiatives toward housing justice including statewide rent control, worker’s rights, and federal and state climate justice work centering on Green New Deal and THRIVE act initiatives.
We have members throughout the country, currently we have about 30 staff members, 12 in CO, and physical offices in Atlanta, Georgia; Denver, Colorado; and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 9to5 is a highly collaborative work environment of mostly women who are deeply committed to the cause. For more information, see our website at www.9to5.org.
- Lead and/or participate in large coalitions or committees
- Build alignment through strategic partnerships
- Create and implement campaign strategy for key bills and core issue areas
- Research & draft best practices and policy models for work related to core issue area campaigns
- Analyze bill drafts and create accessible content for staff and members
- Lead research projects related to campaigns
- Support with hiring and evaluation process for lobbyists and other contract positions related to campaign work
- Coordinate with lobbyists on a regular basis for campaigns and contribute to lobbying efforts
- Represent 9to5 in media with local, state, and national reporters on campaigns and issues
- Speak on panels, workshops, webinars etc. related to core issue areas
- Lead, develop, and support training opportunities, curriculum development, and messaging on priority policy areas
- Support with site visit prep and facilitation with donors and foundations
- Support grassroots fundraising and donor engagement
- Identify new potential donors
- Support with other fundraising activities as needed
- Supervise multiple higher level staff members
- Support with planning and implementing strategic planning
- Support with creating collective and individual work plans with measurable goals for supervisees
- Lead and develop onboarding content for new staff and contract positions
- Support federal work
- Coordinate with other point policy leads and national staff
- A minimum of 4-5 years of experience leading progressive policy campaign and coalition strategy and/or policy development at the state and/or local level
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-oppression, racial and gender justice and ability to work with diverse populations;
- Experience working with grassroots/community leaders in a leadership development capacity
- Preferred knowledge of state level political and legislative processes;
- Preferred Bilingual English-Spanish;
- Preferred experience in social justice work and grassroots organizing in Colorado;
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree in public policy or law degree
- Preferred experience carrying out state or local ballot initiatives
- Must be able to flex work hours at times, as needed
- Must be able to work nights and weekends, as needed
- Must have reliable transportation
Details: The position will be filled as soon as practicable and when we find the right candidate, with a target goal of February 1, 2022.
This is a full-time position (40 hours/week), offering a salary package of $60,000 with generous health and paid time off benefits. 9to5 is an affirmative action employer. Women of color, lesbian, queer and transgender women, women living with disabilities and older women are encouraged to apply. This position is a bargaining unit position in the 9to5 staff union.
To apply: Send letter of interest, resume, and reference list to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Colorado Full-time Campaign & Policy Strategist” in the subject line. No calls please.