Communications and Digital Media Coordinator II
Position based in Atlanta, GA -or- Denver, CO
About 9to5: For nearly five decades, 9to5 has been advancing economic justice for women, grounding our work through a racial and gender justice lens. As a grassroots, membership-based organization, our members are affected by the issues we work on every day: low-wage jobs, the erosion of a social safety net, the lack of paid sick time and paid family leave, unemployment, and workplace discrimination. Our programs include grassroots organizing, leadership development and training, nonpartisan civic engagement and policy change campaigns. We have members throughout the country, have 20 staff, and physical offices in Atlanta, Georgia; Denver, Colorado; and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. For more information, see our website at www.9to5.org.
Position Summary: Working directly with the Senior Communications & Digital Strategist and Deputy Director of Development & Communications, the Communications and Digital Coordinator will (1) help implement the organizational communications plan; (2) help expand the digital presence of the organization and (3) support the team in donor and fundraising communications.
The position can be based in Atlanta, GA or Denver CO, with remote work/work from home expected through at least March 31, 2021 and possibly beyond due to the current Covid-19 health crisis.
Major Duties and Responsibilities Include:
Digital and Communications Strategy
- Help develop and implement the organizational communications strategy while incorporating an anti-oppression, race and gender justice lens
- Develop & refine talking points on campaigns for internal and external use
- Incorporate a digital organizing framework
- Serve as a thought partner on internal systems development
- Monitor current events and social media trends; identifies opportunities to advance our message and visibility
- Manage 9to5 digital and social media platforms and maintain consistent online presence across various platforms
- Develop engaging digital content that includes graphics, memes, videos, etc.
- Monitor, moderate, and engage online audiences and supporters to build support and visibility
- Manage communications department projects as assigned, collaborating with necessary stakeholders and executing steps according to timeline
- Write content for multiple platforms, such as social media, blogs, email, and publication; coordinate to meet scheduled deadlines
- Support creation and editing of print and digital materials including fact sheets, reports, fliers
Fundraising and Public Relations
- Support the execution of donor communications and related administrative tasks
- Support the promotion and execution of fundraising campaigns and events; manage digital event logistics
- Coordinate with staff to respond to requests from earned media
- Track earned media activities and maintain press/media list
- Support members and organizers in media interviews and public speaking opportunities
- Oversee creation and production of marketing material, including drafting, editing, and graphic design; and branded merchandise
Communications and Data Management
- Create communications projects and manage their execution
- Maintain an organized repository of communications materials
- Coordinate with other staff to identify opportunities and needs
- Create and maintain editorial calendar
- Support data management, planning and implementation related to fundraising and communications goals
Supervision and Training
- Support periodic volunteer coordination needs (events, fundraising campaigns etc)
- Train/update staff in communications, digital and donor fundraising fundamentals
- Help with the creation of communications and fundraising guides and how-tos for staff training (ex. “How to Livetweet”, “Making an Ask”)
With other related duties as assigned.
- Preferred background working in social justice and grassroots organizations;
- Ideal candidate will have 1-3 years of communications experience in the development of marketing and informational materials, public relations/media relations, writing and research, donor relations, fundraising campaigns, project management
- Familiarity with constituent relationship management (CRM) systems and a desire to develop database skills and experience; experience with CiviCRM, PowerBase, or ActionNetwork a plus
- Demonstrated creativity in the design of marketing, public relations or educational programs and communications materials;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, with a demonstrable ability to communicate complex ideas in succinct and clear ways to a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- Excellent organizational and strategic planning skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to manage deadlines, work collaboratively, supervise interns/volunteers and achieve outcomes in a team-driven work culture;
- Knowledge of and experience using graphic design software a plus;
- Bilingual English-Spanish a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism, anti-oppression and ability to work with diverse populations;
- Must be able to flex work hours at times, as needed, for special events
Details: The position will be filled as soon as practicable and when we find the right candidate, with an estimated start date of February 15, 2021.
This is a full-time position (40 hours/week), offering a salary package of $42,000 – $45,000 with generous health and paid time off benefits. Position is based in Atlanta, Georgia -or- Denver, Colorado. 9to5 is an affirmative action employer. Women of color, lesbian, bisexual and transgender women, women living with disabilities and older women are encouraged to apply. This position is a bargaining unit position in the 9to5 staff union.
To apply: Send letter of interest, resume, and list of 3 references by January 15, 2021 to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “National Communications and Digital Media Coordinator II” in the subject line. No calls please.