Job Announcement – Canvasser
About 9to5: For nearly five decades, 9to5 has been advancing economic justice for women, grounding our work through a racial and gender justice lens. As a grassroots, membership-based organization, our members are affected by the issues we work on every day: low-wage jobs, the erosion of a social safety net, the lack of paid sick time and paid family leave, unemployment, and workplace discrimination. Our programs include grassroots organizing, leadership development and training, nonpartisan civic engagement and policy change campaigns. We have members throughout the country, 27 staff members, and physical offices in Atlanta, Georgia; Denver, Colorado; and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. For more information, see our website at www.9to5.org.
Position Description: 9to5 Colorado is hiring two canvassers to support Colorado chapter organizers in their base-building efforts. Canvassers will engage and build relationships with community members to shape 9to5 Colorado’s economic justice campaigns and develop community leaders to engage in 9to5’s work as a whole. Individuals with a commitment to social and economic justice, equal opportunity and women’s issues are encouraged to apply.
*Disclaimer: Due to COVID-19, this position will be strictly remote until at least June 30th, 2021, or until internal 9to5 policies allow to return to in-person work structure safely.
- Using the Voter Action Network (VAN) and 9to5 database to engage people impacted by our issues in the Denver Metro Area and beyond
- Informing members about our organizing framework, and other economic justice priorities of 9to5
- Increasing 9to5 membership and supporting organizers in identifying, developing, and conducting one-on-ones with new core leaders to engage in and take action for issue area campaigns.
- Coordinating with communications staff and organizers to collect and share member stories related to economic justice priorities
- Turning out and registering members to virtual and in-person events
- Inputting data from petitions, postcards, and VAN contacts into 9to5 membership database and other tracking systems
- Signing up new contacts as 9to5 members and connect to Outreach Circle application
- Attending virtual and in-person 9to5 member events, trainings, and staff meetings
- Support in carrying out outreach and campaign strategies
- Door-knocking in priority geographies to identify new leaders*
- Other responsibilities that may arise within a reasonable scope of work
- Enthusiastic about social justice
- Deep understanding and commitment to racial and gender justice
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people
- Self-motivated and able to work in an environment where day to day activities differ drastically
- Must be able to operate independently in addition to working with a team in a campaign setting with an ability to respond to a rapidly changing political environment and field program
- Must be available to work weekday evenings and some weekends
- Available for 20-25 hours per week
- Must have access to a phone, video conferencing capabilities, stable internet connection, Google Workspace, Zoom, Outreach Circle, and other software as the need arises
- Phone Banking and door knocking experience preferred
- Bilingual English-Spanish preferred
- Experience with the Voter Action Network (VAN) and database technology preferred
- Preferred access to a vehicle or reliable transportation
This is a part-time contract (20-25 hour per week) position that will begin the first week of April 2021 until September 30th, 2021 with the opportunity to extend the position.
$20 hourly wage, $21 for English-Spanish bilingual candidates, 1 hour of sick time is accrued for every 30 hours worked, and monthly phone and travel stipends.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 work-related references to email@example.com with the subject line “Colorado Canvasser Position”.
Application deadline: The position will be filled as soon as practicable and when we find the right candidate with a target closing date of March 22nd, 5:00 PM.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
9to5 is an affirmative action organization. Women of color, women who are LGBTQ+, women with disabilities and women who are older are encouraged to apply.