This is a level III position in 9to5’s staff structure (3-5 years experience)
Position can be based in Milwaukee, WI -or- based in Wisconsin
About 9to5: For nearly five decades, 9to5 has been advancing economic justice for women, grounding our work through a racial and gender justice lens. As a grassroots, membership-based organization, our members are affected by the issues we work on every day: low-wage jobs, the erosion of a social safety net, the lack of paid sick time and paid family leave, unemployment, and workplace discrimination. Our
programs include grassroots organizing, leadership development and training, nonpartisan civic engagement and policy change campaigns.
Position Summary: Working directly with the Wisconsin State Director, the Communications Specialist will develop and implement the chapter’s communications plan; help expand the digital presence of the Chapter and support the Communications team in donor and fundraising communications.
Major Duties and Responsibilities Include:
Digital and Communications Strategy
● Develop and implement the Chapter’s communications & digital strategy while incorporating an anti-oppression, racial and gender justice lens
● Serve as a thought partner on internal systems development
● Monitor current events and social media trends; identifies opportunities to advance messaging and visibility for Wisconsin based campaigns
● Manage 9to5 Wisconsin’s digital and social media platforms; grow and maintain consistent online presence across various platforms
● Develop engaging digital content that includes graphics, memes, videos, etc.
● Monitor, moderate, and engage online audiences and supporters to build support and visibility
● Manage communications projects as assigned, collaborating with necessary stakeholders and executing steps according to timeline
● Write content for multiple platforms, such as social media, blogs, email, and publication; coordinate to meet scheduled deadlines
● Oversee creation and production of print and digital materials including fact sheets, reports, fliers, marketing material, including drafting, editing, and graphic design; and branded merchandise
● Support the execution of donor communications and related administrative tasks
● Support the promotion and execution of fundraising campaigns and events; manage digital event logistics
● Help with the creation of communications, digital, and donor fundraising guides and how-tos for staff training
Communications and Data Management
● Create communications projects and manage their execution
● Maintain an organized repository of communications materials
● Create and maintain editorial calendar
● Support data management, planning and implementation related to fundraising and communications goals
Perform other duties as necessary and assist with special projects when requested.
● Demonstrated commitment to environmental justice, environmental health, and/or social, racial and economic justice.
● Bachelor’s degree or at least three years of organizing experience with a community, labor, faith, or women’s organization, preferred.
● Bilingual: English-Spanish or English-Hmong, a plus;
● A commitment to racial and gender equity and dismantling all systems of oppression.
● Good planning skills, time management, ability to work independently, ability to prioritize work and account for results.
● Strong communication skills, both written and oral. Experience with issue-based policy campaigns.
● Must be able to flex work hours at times, as needed, for special events
● Ideal candidate will have 1-3 years of communications experience in the development of marketing and informational materials, public relations/media relations, writing and research, donor relations, fundraising campaigns, project management, social media;
● Familiarity with constituent relationship management (CRM) systems and a desire to develop database skills and experience; experience with CiviCRM, PowerBase, or ActionNetwork a plus
● Demonstrated creativity in the design of marketing, public relations or educational programs and communications materials;
● Excellent oral and written communications skills, with a demonstrable ability to communicate complex ideas in succinct and clear ways to a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
● Attention to detail;
● Ability to manage deadlines, work collaboratively, supervise interns/volunteers and achieve outcomes in a team-driven work culture;
● Knowledge of and experience using graphic design software a plus;
● Experience coordinating projects with multiple partners/stakeholders, and experience working directly with community members from diverse backgrounds and ethnicities.
● Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and ability to meet multiple deadlines.
● Proficiency with Zoom, Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and various social media platforms.
Details: The position will be filled as soon as practicable and when we find the right candidate, with an estimated start date of August 2022. The position can be based in 9to5’s Milwaukee, WI office; or can be a fully remote (work from home) position based in Wisconsin.
Compensation: This is a full-time position (40 hours/week), offering a salary package of $53,000 with generous family health insurance, employer retirement contribution, life insurance and paid time off benefits including sick time, vacation time, personal time and 10 paid holidays annually.
This position is a bargaining unit position in the 9to5 staff union.
To apply: Send letter of interest, resume, and list of 3 references by June 24, 2022 to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “ Communication Specialist” in the subject line. No calls please.
We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, bilingual and bicultural individuals as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Job applicants and staff shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.