Communications and Data Coordinator II
Position based in Wisconsin
About 9to5: For nearly five decades, 9to5 has been advancing economic justice for women, grounding our work through a racial and gender justice lens. As a grassroots, membership-based organization, our members are affected by the issues we work on every day: low-wage jobs, the erosion of a social safety net, the lack of paid sick time and paid family leave, unemployment, and workplace discrimination. Our programs include grassroots organizing, leadership development and training, nonpartisan civic engagement and policy change campaigns.
Position Summary: 9to5 Wisconsin seeks an experienced Communications and Data Coordinator to work directly with the Wisconsin State Director and national communications staff. The Communications and Data Coordinator will 1) help develop and implement a communications strategy, and 2) coordinate data processes to help 9to5 Wisconsin fulfill its mission and grow its visibility.
They will help lead the implementation of the 9to5 Wisconsin Chapter’s communications strategy and serve as the chapter’s data point person, providing direction, training, and structure for staff to build an organizational awareness and culture around communications and data. The position will be remote and based in Wisconsin.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
● Help develop and implement the chapter’s communications strategy while incorporating an anti-oppression, race and gender justice lens
● Develop & refine talking points on campaigns for internal and external use
● Help develop and support a digital organizing framework
● Build cohesion and clarity for messaging and narratives
● Serve as a thought partner on internal systems development
●Produce diverse, engaging content accessible to a general audience, including press materials, social media posts, email copy; marketing, campaign, speaking and presentation materials
● Manage chapter social media channels, including the development of original content, curating content, engaging target audiences, and evaluating impact
● Help improve visibility and consistency in branding
● Collaborate with other staff to create event & campaign-specific materials, including multimedia and printed collateral
Public relations and Fundraising
● Coordinate with staff to respond to requests from earned media
● Track earned media activities
● Maintain press/media list
● Support members and organizers in media interviews and public speaking opportunities
● Oversee creation and production of marketing material, including drafting, editing, and graphic design; and branded merchandise
● Support with promotion and execution of fundraising campaigns and events; manage digital event logistics
Communications processes, tracking, & reporting
● Create communications projects and manage their execution
● Maintain an organized repository of communications materials
● Create and maintain chapter editorial calendar
● Coordinate with other staff to identify opportunities and needs
Supervision and Training
● Supervise interns and/or short-term project staff working in a communications/data scope, as needed
● Support periodic volunteer coordination needs (events, etc)
● Train/update chapter staff in chapter communications, data and digital fundamentals
● Create communications guides and how-tos for staff training (ex. “How to Livetweet”, “Social Media Accessibility Guide”)
Data Management and Coordination
● Set up chapter events in organizational database (CiviCRM) as needed
● Import data from outside electronic sources into the database; enter bulk data from key chapter activities
● Act as lead for the chapter in database coordination and chapter support by responding to questions from the team, collaborating with organizers to identify emerging database needs, and communicating relevant information from the database team back to the chapter
● Give feedback to the Database Manager on what documentation is needed and how existing documentation can be improved
● Participate in internal Database Team: attend meetings, communicate chapter needs and questions to the database team and participate in database team discussion, information gathering, and decision making about how to meet chapter needs
● Coordinate data planning and implementation related to campaigns and organizing goals
With other related duties as assigned.
● Preferred background working in social justice and grassroots organizations;
● A minimum of 2 years of communications experience in the development of marketing and informational materials, public relations / media relations, writing and research, fundraising campaigns, project management and /or information technology;
● Familiarity with constituent relationship management (CRM) systems and a desire to develop database skills and experience; experience with CiviCRM or PowerBase a plus
● Strong spreadsheet skills, including comfort with basic formulas and data transformation features such as text to columns
● Demonstrated creativity in the design of marketing, public relations or educational programs and communications materials;
● Excellent oral and written communications skills, with a demonstrable ability to communicate complex ideas in succinct and clear ways to a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
● Excellent organizational and strategic planning skills;
● Attention to detail;
● Ability to manage deadlines, work collaboratively, supervise interns/volunteers and achieve outcomes in a team-driven work culture;
● Knowledge of and experience using graphic design software a plus;
● Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism, anti-oppression and ability to work with diverse populations;
● Must be able to flex work hours at times, as needed, for special events
Details: The position will be filled as soon as practicable and when we find the right candidate. The position will be based in Wisconsin.
Compensation: This is a full-time position (40 hours/week), offering a salary package of $52,000 with generous family health insurance, employer retirement contribution, life insurance and paid time off benefits including sick time, vacation time, personal time and paid holidays annually.
This position is a bargaining unit position in the 9to5 staff union.
To apply: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and a writing & design sample (op-ed, article, social graphic & caption), etc) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Wisconsin Comms & Data Coordinator II” in the subject line. No calls please.
We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, bilingual and bicultural individuals as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities.
Job applicants and staff shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political aﬃliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.