About 9to5: For nearly five decades, 9to5 has been advancing economic justice for women, grounding our work through a racial and gender justice lens. As a grassroots, membership-based organization, our members are affected by the issues we work on every day: low-wage jobs, the erosion of a social safety net, the lack of paid sick time and paid family leave, unemployment, and workplace discrimination. Our programs include grassroots organizing, leadership development and training, nonpartisan civic engagement and policy change campaigns. We have members throughout the country, 27 staff members, and physical offices in Atlanta, Georgia; Denver, Colorado; and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. For more information, see our website at www.9to5.org.
Position Description: 9to5 Colorado is hiring a canvasser to support the collection of a large-scale climate justice survey among 9to5’s members. Canvassers will engage and build relationships with community members to shape 9to5 Colorado’s economic justice campaigns and develop community leaders to engage in 9to5’s work as a whole. Individuals with a commitment to social, environmental, and economic justice, equal opportunity and women’s issues are encouraged to apply.
*Disclaimer: This position will be hybrid in-person and remote. We follow all public health guidelines and will continue to monitor the safety of in-person work in response to COVID-19.
- Collecting climate justice surveys through phone-banking and in-person canvassing
- Informing members about our organizing framework, and other climate and economic justice priorities of 9to5
- Increasing 9to5 membership and supporting organizers in identifying, developing, and conducting one-on-ones with new core leaders to engage in and take action for climate justice campaigns.
- Coordinating with communications staff and organizers to collect and share member stories related to climate justice priorities
- Turning out and registering members to virtual and in-person events
- Inputting data from surveys, petitions, postcards, and VAN contacts into 9to5 membership database and other tracking systems
- Signing up new contacts as 9to5 members and connect to Outreach Circle application
- Attending virtual and in-person 9to5 member events, trainings, and staff meetings
- Support in carrying out outreach and campaign strategies
- Door-knocking in priority geographies to identify new leaders and distribute surveys
- Other responsibilities that may arise within a reasonable scope of work
- Spanish and English fluency
- Enthusiastic about social justice
- Deep understanding and commitment to racial and gender justice
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people
- Self-motivated and able to work in an environment where day to day activities differ drastically
- Must be able to operate independently in addition to working with a team in a campaign setting with an ability to respond to a rapidly changing political environment and field program
- Must be available to work weekday evenings and some weekends
- Available for 15-20 hours per week
- Must have access to a phone, video conferencing capabilities, stable internet connection, Google Workspace, Zoom, and other software as the need arises
- Phone Banking and door knocking experience preferred
- Access to a vehicle or reliable transportation and ability to travel in the Front Range (Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs)
This is a part-time contract (10-20 hour per week) position that will begin at the beginning in June, 2022 until July 29, 2022 with the potential opportunity to extend the position based on organizational need.
$23 hourly wage for monolingual candidates, $24 hourly wage for English-Spanish bilingual candidates. 1 hour of sick time is accrued for every 30 hours worked, in addition to monthly phone and travel stipends.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 work-related references to email@example.com with the subject line “Colorado Climate Justice Canvasser Position”.
Application deadline: The position will be filled as soon as practicable and when we find the right candidate with a target closing date of June 1, 2022.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
9to5 is an affirmative action organization. Women of color, women who are LGBTQ+, women with disabilities and women who are older are encouraged to apply.