Albany Organizer II
Position based in Albany, Georgia
About 9to5: For nearly five decades, 9to5 has been advancing economic justice for women, grounding our work through a racial and gender justice lens. As a grassroots, membership-based organization, our members are affected by the issues we work on every day: low-wage jobs, the erosion of a social safety net, the lack of paid sick time and paid family leave, unemployment, and workplace discrimination. Our programs include grassroots organizing, leadership development and training, nonpartisan civic engagement and policy change campaigns.
Position Summary: 9to5 Georgia seeks an experienced Organizer based in Albany, Georgia. This organizer will be responsible for organizing in SW Georgia around climate and environmental change to mobilize voters as part of 9to5’s broader objective of advocating for gender, racial and economic justice.
We’re looking for an emerging leader in the city of Albany who is passionate about lessening the utility burden on Albanians and advocates for energy efficiency programs. These programs may include upgrading and retrofitting homes, change in local and state policies regarding utilities and introducing clean energy solutions to lessen the impact of high energy rates.
Ideal candidates are from and/or reside in Albany or Dougherty County, have experience working with underserved communities and are looking to build careers in social justice, environmental health, environmental justice, and similar fields. This position will also assist with voter registration and GOTV programs by connecting the need for environmental justice with civic engagement.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
● Membership Recruitment/Development:
○ Coordinate and conduct outreach programs designed to reach residents affected by high utility bills; this outreach will come in the form of door-to-door canvassing, phone calls, emails and attending community events.
○ Recruit and engage members, conduct trainings that identify and develop member leaders, and ensure consistent turn-out and active participation of members in campaign activities
○ Support and facilitate regular 9to5 membership meetings, trainings, neighborhood meetings and other general membership events.
○ Provide support for the Albany Community Justice Fellowship programs and any campaign members are pursuing.
○ Input data about event, new contacts, and member engagement on a regular basis in our system.
● Campaign Support/Development:
○ Research policy issues related to utility bills at the municipal, county, state and federal levels of government.
○ Provide administrative support, drafts, and presentations related to coalition to work.
○ Help draft fact sheets and other communications tools and some digital assets related to coalition work.
● Grassroots Fundraising:
○ Coordinate or support grassroots fundraising events and donor relationships.
● Demonstrated commitment to environmental justice, environmental health, and/or social, racial and economic justice.
● At least two years of organizing experience with a community, labor, faith, or women’s organization, preferred.
● Good planning skills, time management, ability to work independently, ability to prioritize work and account for results.
● Strong written and oral communication skills. Experience with issue-based policy campaigns.
● Access to a vehicle to drive to meetings on a regular basis.*
● Available to work evenings and weekends depending on campaign needs.
● Strong database management skills preferred.
● Ability to use and access zoom, google drive applications, and database programs.
● Must have quality internet and phone access on a daily basis.
● Comfort taking initiative and ability to think outside the box to find solutions and resources.
● Experience coordinating projects with multiple partners/stakeholders, and experience working directly with community members from diverse backgrounds and ethnicities.
● Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and ability to meet multiple deadlines.
● Proficiency with Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and various social media platforms.
Details: The position will be filled as soon as practicable and when we find the right candidate. The position will be based in 9to5’s Albany, GA office.
Compensation: This is a full-time position (40 hours/week), offering a salary package of $52,000 with generous family health insurance, employer retirement contribution, life insurance and paid time off benefits including sick time, vacation time, personal time and 10 paid holidays annually.
This position is a bargaining unit position in the 9to5 staff union.
To apply: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 work-related references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Albany Organizer II” in the subject line. No calls please.
Application deadline: The position will be filled as soon as practicable and when we find the right candidate.
We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, bilingual and bicultural individuals as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Job applicants and staff shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.