Job Announcement: Voter Engagement Canvasser
Based in Wisconsin
About 9to5: For nearly five decades, 9to5 has been advancing economic justice for women, grounding our work through a racial and gender justice lens. As a grassroots, membership-based organization, our members are affected by the issues we work on every day: low-wage jobs, the erosion of a social safety net, the lack of paid sick time and paid family leave, unemployment, and workplace discrimination. Our programs include grassroots organizing, leadership development and training, nonpartisan civic engagement and policy change campaigns.
Position Summary: 9to5 Wisconsin is hiring six (6) canvassers to support our 2022 Voter Registration (VR) campaign. Canvassers will engage and build relationships with community members to shape 9to5 Wisconsin’s civic engagement and economic justice campaigns. Individuals with a commitment to social, environmental, and economic justice, equal opportunity and women’s issues are encouraged to apply.
*Disclaimer: This position will be hybrid in-person and remote and we will continue to monitor the safety of
in-person activities with the COVID-19 pandemic.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Door-knocking in priority communities* (African American, Latinx, and Hmong communities) to encourage voter registration and participation in elections
- Phone-banking and in-person canvassing
- Text banking to assist in overall team goals
- Coordinating with Team Leaders to collect and share member information
- Support in carrying out outreach and campaign strategies
- Engage community members and voters around Voter Registration, Voter Education, Vote by Mail and Get Out To Vote.
- Identify likely voters for the 2022 elections
- Increase BIPOC (specifically Latinx and Hmong) voter turnout through Get-Out-TheVote tactics
- Other responsibilities that may arise within a reasonable scope of work
- Bilingual in Hmong and/or Spanish
- Enthusiastic about social justice
- Deep understanding and commitment to racial and gender justice
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people
- Self-motivated and able to work in an environment where day to day activities differ drastically
- Must be able to operate independently in addition to working with a team in a campaign setting
- Ability to respond to a rapidly changing political environment and field program
- Must be available to work weekday evenings and some weekends
- Available for up to 20 hours per week
- Must have access to phone, video capabilities, internet connection, and other software as needed
- Preferred access to a vehicle or reliable transportation
Details: The position will be filled as soon as practicable and when we find the right candidates. There are six (6) positions available. The estimated start date of March 15, 2022. The position can be based in 9to5’s Milwaukee, WI office; or can be a remote position based in Wisconsin.
Compensation: This is a seasonal hourly position at $15.00 per hour (20 hours/week), phone stipend
To apply: Send letter of interest, resume, and list of 2 references by March 15, 2022 to: 9to5Wisconsin@9to5.org with “Voter Engagement Canvasser” in the subject line. No calls please.
We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, bilingual and bicultural individuals as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Job applicants and staff shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.