Job Announcement: 9to5 Colorado – Green New Deal Organizer & Coalition Coordinator
Based in Colorado
About the organizations:
The Green New Deal Network’s mission is to secure the passage of a series of national, state, and local policies that address the interlocking economic and environmental crises, transforming our economy and society to provide economic security and social justice for all. To that end, Colorado groups have come together to push forward a state and national agenda for a green economy that lifts up communities of color and workers.
9to5 Colorado is an economic justice organization that works to create system change by directly engaging impacted womxn, grounding our work through a racial and gender justice lens. As a grassroots, membership-based organization, our members are affected by the issues we work on every day: low-wage jobs, the erosion of a social safety net, the lack of paid sick time and paid family leave, unemployment, and workplace discrimination. Our programs include grassroots organizing, community education, leadership development and training, nonpartisan civic engagement, and policy change campaigns.
9to5 Colorado & the Colorado Green New Deal (GND) Table are looking to hire a hybrid staff person to coordinate the state GND table and also serve as an organizer for 9to5 Colorado. The (GND) table work will consist of a half-time coalition coordination to provide structure for the coalition. This coordinator would help develop the coalition by fostering existing and new relationships with coalition partners to engage them further in the climate, housing, and economic justice movement building work. 9to5 Colorado and Colorado People’s Alliance (COPA) are the two anchor organizations and co-chairs that will work hand in hand with the coalition coordinator.
The remaining half-time duties will be fulfilled as a 9to5 Colorado community organizer. This organizer will focus on recruiting and engaging members and leaders for local and statewide campaigns. Currently, Colorado focuses on campaigns related to economic justice, including housing and rights for workers. This position would primarily support housing justice campaigns. www.9to5.org
This position will be based in the Denver Metro Area or has the ability to travel to Denver Area 1-4 times a month. This is a temporary full-time project funded union position through Dec 2021. Contract may be extended beyond Dec 2021 if additional funding becomes available.
Coalition Organizing and Management
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with existing GND campaign partners, new campaign partners, allies, community members, elected officials, stakeholders, and leaders in the Climate, Housing & Economic Justice Spaces
- Developing the capacity of GND table partners to participate effectively in the campaign
- Monitor and/or participate in governmental and public meetings and processes related to the priorities of the GND coalition
- Represent CO GND in other coalition spaces
- Facilitate and support facilitation for GND meetings and trainings
- Work with GND co-chairs to draft agendas for coalition meetings
- Coordinate logistics for virtual and in-person GND coalition events (sign-in sheets, childcare, interpretation, food, meeting space, materials, zoom, etc.)
- Help carry out strategy and tactics determined by the GND coalition
- Oversee GND subcommittees
Communications and Data Management
- Oversee GND communication plan
- Create content for GND social media accounts with relevant news and information about upcoming events as needed
- Draft GND action alerts and updates
- Coordinate GND meetings with key elected officials
- Data maintenance to track GND coalition members, allies, state and federal bills, and conversations with elected officials
Fundraising and Administration
- Support GND funder prospecting and grant reporting
- Develop basic administrative systems and structures for GND coalition
- Meet regularly with GND co-chairs to review progress on deliverables
- Maintain organized digital and physical GND campaign records
- Coordinate or support 9to5 grassroots fundraising events and donor relationships
- Represent CO GND in national coalition spaces dedicated to supporting the THRIVE agenda
- Attend virtual national calls with other state GND partners
- Coordinate with national around GND event planning both at local and national level
- Attend Right to the City Alliance, It Takes Roots, Homes For All, and other GND/THRIVE agenda meetings hosted by housing oriented organizations and report back to 9to5 staff
- Develop relationships with diverse community members and establish active volunteer member teams to effectively advocate for 9to5 economic justice priority issues.
- Recruit and engage members, conduct trainings that identify and develop member leaders, and ensure consistent turn-out and active participation of members in campaign activities.
- Use grassroots organizing methods, including one-on-ones, house meetings and presentations and a well-developed ladder of engagement that moves members into increasing leadership roles.
- Engage in outreach, including phone banking, door-to-door canvassing, street outreach and other outreach tactics.
- Represent the organization during community events and coalition meetings. Contribute to chapter website and other social media.
- Support and facilitate regular 9to5 membership meetings, trainings, neighborhood meetings and other general membership events.
- Input data about events, new contacts, and member engagement on a regular basis in our 9to5 system.
Campaign Direction & Supervision:
- Develop, implement and evaluate 9to5 organizing campaigns
- Oversee the development and design of 9to5 campaign materials
- Maintain 9to5 campaign files, contact/member databases, and progress reports
- Develop and conduct 9to5 workshops as needed
- May supervise paid 9to5 canvassers
- Identify top issue areas for 9to5 in community through surveys, one-on-ones, phone calls, door-knocking etc.
- Support 9to5 members in developing campaign strategies and identifying and executing relevant tactics
- At least 2 years of organizing experience with a community, labor, faith, or women’s organization
- Deep understanding and commitment to racial justice
- Excellent communication & writing skills
- Experience working with low income communities and communities of color
- Available to work weekday evenings and weekends
- Demonstrated experience and success in collaborative project management or nonprofit administration and organizing
- Ability to coordinate communication among coalition and community members effectively
- A passion for creating organizational systems and empowering collaborative teams
- Ability to evaluate and implement online collaboration tools
- Ability to create goals, develop strategy and plan backwards
- Proficiency in using Zoom, facebook live streaming, twitter, instagram, google drive, powerpoint
- Must be flexible with lack of structure and a willingness to co-create structure for this new coalition
- Self-motivated and able to work in an environment where day to day activities differ drastically, at times due to a rapidly changing political environment & field program
- Must be able to operate independently in addition to working with a team in a campaign setting
- Knowledgeable about Colorado and Federal politics and community organizing, especially in relation to the Green New Deal and THRIVE agenda, prefered but not required
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, prefered but not required Details:
Annual FTE base salary is $45,000, with a 4% increase for bilingual fluency in English and Spanish. Excellent health and family benefits. 9to5 is an affirmative action employer. Women of color, women who are LGBTQ+, women with disabilities and women who are older are encouraged to apply. This position is a bargaining unit position in the 9to5 staff union.
Interested applicants should send (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “CO GND & 9to5 Organizer II position” in the subject line. Application will be open with a rolling deadline until the position is filled.