San Jose Intern Organizer
9to5 seeks applicants for an unpaid internship position to support and strengthen campaign activities of the San Jose chapter of this national organization. The Intern Organizer will work closely with the 9to5 National Action Network Organizer as well as San Jose chapter leaders.
9to5 is a grassroots membership organization, founded in 1973, which engages directly affected women to improve working conditions. Our goals are to build leadership among low income working women and to win improvements in workplace and public policies. Current San Jose chapter campaigns include efforts on the city, county, and state level to: end wage theft, expand access to CalWORKS safety net assistance, win solutions to pay inequality, and provide non-partisan voter education.
- Join chapter leaders in outreach efforts such as registering voters or collecting petition signatures
- Identify and follow up with new contacts who are directly impacted by our core issues
- Support the chapter’s local coalition work to end wage theft
- Help broadcast the activities of the chapter through online communications.
- Candidate is in a degree program and will receive some kind of school credit for the internship, either as direct credit exchange, or as part of an extended school project.
- Candidate works independently and has good planning skills, time management, and the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Interest and experience working with diverse populations is preferred.
- Experience working with community organizations, women’s organizations, or labor/worker’s rights organizations preferred
- Candidate should have strong oral communication as well as writing/editing skills; proficient in Microsoft Office, Windows
10-20 hours per week for a period of 10 (or more) weeks, beginning as soon as possible. Supervision and mentoring will be provided along with assistance in skill development for future job placements. Women of color, lesbian and bisexual women, transgender women, women with disabilities and older women are encouraged to apply.
Location: San Jose, CA, and surrounding area.
To apply: Send resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com. Resumes are accepted on a rolling basis