Online Communications Intern
Online Communications Intern
9to5 seeks applicants for unpaid internship positions to support and strengthen our national and local social media presence and online communications. Online communications interns will manage 9to5 Facebook and Twitter accounts, create content for 9to5’s website, contribute to mass email communications with 9to5 contacts, and expand our use of these networks as organizing tools. The intern will work closely with the 9to5 National Public Relations Coordinator, Action Network Organizer, and/or chapter staff, as appropriate.
9to5 is a grassroots membership organization, founded in 1973, which engages directly affected women to improve working conditions. Our goals are to build leadership among low income working women and to win improvements in workplace and public policies. Current campaigns focus on family-supporting jobs, work flexibility and equal opportunity.
Responsibilities: Assist 9to5 staff in maintaining and strengthening 9to5’s online communications and social media presence, including:
- Regular posting to Facebook and Twitter on behalf of 9to5 national and/or a 9to5 local chapter,
- Using social media tools to build 9to5’s base of working women, as well as developing relationships with ally organizations, journalists and legislators.
- Creating graphics for use on social media.
- Creating content for 9to5’s website and local campaign websites, including writing and working with 9to5 members to write blog posts.
- Depending on location, writing content for regular email blasts to 9to5 contacts.
- Candidate is in a degree program and will receive some kind of school credit for the internship, either as direct credit exchange, or as part of an extended school project.
- Candidate has a strong interest in a diverse set of online communications strategies. Experience (paid or volunteer) in communications or social media management for non-profits is a plus.
- Candidate works independently and has good planning skills, time management, and the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Interest and experience working with diverse populations is preferred.
- Candidate should have strong oral communication as well as writing/editing skills; proficient in Microsoft Office, Windows; experience with basic graphic design a plus.
8-10 hours per week for a period of three (or more) months beginning as soon as possible. Supervision and mentoring will be provided along with assistance in portfolio creation for future job placements. Women of color, lesbian and bisexual women, transgender women, women with disabilities and older women are encouraged to apply.
Locations: Preference is for the intern to be based in Denver, CO; Atlanta, GA; Milwaukee, WI; Los Angeles, CA; or San Jose, CA. Interns in these locations will work directly with 9to5 staff and may be involved in local or national communications. The position is also open to an intern based in other parts of the United States, who would receive training and regular contact with staff via phone and email. For interns based outside of chapter cities, preference is for at least one year of experience managing social media for non-profits.
Send resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com
Resumes are accepted on a rolling basis