Job Announcement – 9to5 Colorado Organizer
9to5, National Association of Working Women seeks an experienced Organizer for its Colorado chapter, to lead our metro Denver regional campaigns to win affordable and accessible public transit by building the power and leadership of transit-dependent riders. This is a full-time, temporary position through the end of December 2017, with the strong possibility of extension.
We are looking for a passionate and energetic organizer who is committed to social justice values and works well in a collaborative team-oriented setting. Our ideal candidate has a proven track record of working with diverse women from low-income communities, and brings experience in grassroots organizing and leadership development, coalition-building and policy campaigns.
9to5 was founded in 1973 as a grassroots membership organization to strengthen women’s ability to work for economic justice. Our goals are to build leadership and power among low-wage working women to win improvements in workplace and public policy. Some of 9to5 Colorado’s current campaigns include: paid family and medical leave insurance, fair chance/ban the box, equal pay, affordable housing and renter’s rights, and affordable transit. 9to5 is a movement-building organization that works to build solidarity across diverse communities impacted by injustice.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Campaign Direction & Supervision: Design, implement and evaluate major organizing campaigns. Involve members in programs and strategies. Oversee the development and design of campaign materials. Administer campaigns (maintain campaign files, contact and member databases, progress reports). May lead multi-city work teams and participate in additional campaigns.
- Fundraising/Financial Management: Develop transit project budget and fundraising plan with State Director. Help identify funding sources; assist with proposal development for funding; write funding proposals and reports; help organize grassroots fundraising events. Build relationships with funders, direct donor outreach and cultivation.
- Member Recruitment/Development: Identify and train chapter Board leaders and activists in-state, facilitate chapter Board development. Coordinate use of database technology for members, donors, fundraising; oversee technology planning for chapter including website, social media and other systems. Train leaders and staff for public speaking on issue campaigns.
- Organization and Staff Development: Work with leaders and staff to evaluate organizational growth, recruitment and campaign strategies. Coordinate, supervise and evaluate staff and interns. Represent 9to5 in the community and media. Represent 9to5 as spokesperson in local, state and national issue campaigns and coalitions. May coordinate regional leadership training institutes or community internship training programs for members. May be part of 9to5’s Speaker’s Bureau. Other duties as assigned.
- At least three to five years organizing experience with a community, labor or women’s organization.
- Must initiate own work plan and work reports. Excellent planning skills, time management, ability to prioritize work and be accountable for results.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Grantwriting, budgeting and reporting experience.
- Organization leadership experience, including strategic planning and supervision experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion and proven history of working well with diverse populations including but not limited to: low-income women, women of color, immigrant women, women with disabilities and LGBTQ individuals.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office and database programs.
- Bilingual and bicultural experience a plus.
Base salary range $40,200 to $43,200, depending on experience. Excellent health and family benefits and paid time off package. 9to5 is an affirmative action employer. Women of color, individuals who identify as lesbian, bisexual, transgender or gender non-conforming, women with disabilities, older women and bilingual/bicultural women are encouraged to apply. 9to5 provides additional compensation for language skills other than English that are used by staff as a routine part of their work. This position is a bargaining unit position in the 9to5 staff union. www.9to5.org
Send resume, letter of interest and list of references to email@example.com with CO Transit Organizer in the subject line. Deadline to apply – March 10, 2017. No phone calls, please.
See the Word document of Transit Organizer CO 2017 job announcement here.