9to5, National Association of Working Women seeks a national Executive Director to provide vision, direction and leadership to our organization and our work. We are looking for a passionate and energetic individual who is committed to social justice values and works well in a collaborative team-oriented setting. Our ideal candidate has a proven track record of working with diverse women from low-income communities, and brings experience in organizational leadership, planning and strategy development, fund development, staff management, public relations, and coalition-building.
9to5 was founded in 1973 as a grassroots membership organization to strengthen women’s ability to work for economic justice. Our goals are to build leadership and power among low-wage working women to win improvements in workplace and public policy. Our primary campaign areas are: workplace fairness and family flexible workplace policies, equal opportunity and ending discrimination, economic security and ending poverty. The strategies we employ include grassroots organizing, policy campaigns, civic engagement, leadership development and public education. 9to5 is a movement-building organization that works to build solidarity across diverse communities impacted by injustice.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Board Relations
Facilitates effective board and committee work; assists in board recruitment and retention; communicates clearly and effectively with board members.
- Provide leadership to National Board; facilitate Board development.
- Work with National Board and Management Team to design, implement organizational policies.
- Help develop and coordinate organizational leadership development programs.
- Fiscal Management and Fund Development
Develops and controls budgets; produces and uses management data; prepares accurate and timely reports; directs individual giving and corporate/foundation grant campaigns; establishes good relationships with funders.
- Work with Management Team and National Board to lead national fundraising, raise organizational budget, research fundraising opportunities, write grants and reports.
- Facilitate Board development and training in fiscal management, fundraising skills/strategies.
- Leverage, negotiate with and bring in new sources of funding.
- Responsible with development staff for funder and donor cultivation, including meeting with funders, major donors and potential major donors.
- Earned income speakers bureau/training presenter.
- Work with Management Team and National Board to lead coordination of special events.
- Work with Management Team and State Directors to support chapter fundraising.
- Public Relations & Coalition Work
Effectively and persuasively communicates the mission and programs; cultivates and manages good relations with media and key local, state and national networks and collaborations.
- Serve as chief spokesperson and representative of 9to5 in national issue campaigns, national media, national coalitions, national policymaking offices and bodies.
- Work with communications staff to develop op-eds, press statements and releases, PSAs, organizational communications, training materials and curricula, issue oriented reports.
- Public speaking on behalf of 9to5 at conferences, events, speaking/training opportunities.
- Serve as spokesperson and representative of 9to5 in local issue campaigns, media, coalitions, policymaking offices and bodies, conferences and events.
- Planning, Strategy & Program Development
Provides clear strategic direction; assures strategic plan is created and used/updated; takes timely action to resolve problems; leads in the development of and new opportunities for base building; ensures leadership development and policy change are consistent with the mission.
- With Management Team and National Board, engage in big-picture thinking, trend analysis, and direction-setting for the organization.
- Help lead and oversee national strategic planning and staff planning. Participate in key strategic planning workgroups.
- Work with National Board, Management Team and affected staff to design, oversee, direct and implement multiple 9to5 national issue campaigns.
- Direct, coordinate, and represent 9to5 in national coalition issue campaigns. Help design, direct and implement multiple national coalition issue campaigns.
- Help coordinate campaign administration, strategies, materials, evaluation.
- Help provide leadership to local campaigns.
- Staff Relations
Recruits, develops, trains, nurtures and recognizes effective staff; builds team spirit; leads by example; assures effective supervision and evaluation; models effective work/life balance; inspires and supports others in doing their best work.
- Participate as member of Management Team.
- Provide leadership to all staff; identify needs and opportunities for, and facilitate staff development and training.
- Hire, mentor, direct, supervise, evaluate staff as decided by the Management Team.
- Represent 9to5 in collective bargaining with staff union, and on Labor/ Management Team.
- Continued Learning
Continually learns and improves skills to benefit the organization.
- Look for opportunities to learn and share new information and skills with staff, Board, members and allies.
- Work with Management Team to keep organizational tools updated and shared throughout the organization.
- At least five years leadership experience with a community, labor or women’s organization.
- Social justice vision.
- Ability to inspire and support others.
- Excellent planning and management skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proven funder and donor relations experience.
- Proven grant writing, budgeting and reporting experience.
- Proven, significant strategic planning and supervision experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion and proven history of working well with diverse populations including but not limited to: low-income women, women of color, immigrant women, women with disabilities and LGBTQ individuals.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office and experience with constituent database programs.
- Bilingual and bicultural experience a plus.
This position can be based in Atlanta, Denver or Milwaukee. Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent health and family benefits and paid time off package. 9to5 is an affirmative action employer. Women of color, individuals who identify as lesbian, bisexual, transgender or gender non-conforming, women with disabilities, older women and bilingual/bicultural women are encouraged to apply. www.9to5.org
Send resume, letter of interest and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Executive Director” in the subject line. Deadline to apply March 10, 2017. No phone calls, please.