More Facts on Equal Work Deserves Equal Pay
- In almost all of the hundreds of occupations tracked by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, women earn less than men.
- Even when all other things are factored in – like education, experience in the workforce, marital status, # of children – there is still a pay gap that remains unexplained.
- Fortune Magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work for in America” all have extensive workplace flexibility programs and have all seen their stock values grow at twice the average rate.
- There is also a public interest case for pay equity. Pay equity is a poverty reduction strategy and an economic development tool. It reduces stress-related health problems and health care costs.
- Pay equity saves tax dollars. A California study estimated that a 12 week paid family leave program would result in 29,000 fewer people on public assistance, saving $23 million annually. A Canadian study showed that eliminating wage discrimination would result in an increase in personal income tax collected of $600 million annually.
Click here for more information about the pay gap.